Cornwall Bypass traffic woes due to rushed planning and secrecy
Cornwall – Traffic woes for motorists due to the Cornwall Bypass project are the unfortunate result of rushed planning, poor communication, and needless secrecy by Premier MacLauchlan, says Opposition Leader Jamie Fox.
“The Cornwall Bypass project has been cloaked in secrecy since it was hastily announced months ago. Residents, motorists, truckers, businesses and even MLA’s have been unable to find out details from government. For some reason Premier MacLauchlan is unwilling to communicate with the public about this project and that’s concerning,” said Fox.
Construction began on Phase 1 of the Cornwall Bypass project on September 6 with construction of two roundabouts, one at Poplar Island on the North River causeway and one at the intersection of Maypoint Road. Since then motorists have experienced lengthy delays in both Cornwall and Charlottetown that in many cases has added an hour or more to regular travel times. Alternate traffic routes have also experienced higher traffic delays. Phase 1 of the project is anticipated to continue into late November.
“In its rush to get shovels in the ground the government chose not to listen. Truckers warned them back in the summer that the traffic plan would have problems.A project of this scale should have a strong traffic plan focused on safety and efficiency that is well communicated to the public. Obviously that didn’t happen and we’re seeing the results of that,” said Fox.
Fox suggested that the province look at more flexible options to improve traffic flow such as staggering two lanes of traffic to and from Cornwall during morning and afternoon rush hour when traffic levels surge.